Magnesium is a crucial mineral that plays a role in hundreds of processes in the human body. From muscle and nerve function to heart health and blood sugar control, magnesium helps keep many aspects of health running smoothly. Despite its importance, it’s estimated that up to 75% of American adults may be deficient in this key mineral.
Thorne Magnesium Bisglycinate is a magnesium supplement designed to help restore optimal levels of this nutrient in the body. This comprehensive Thorne Magnesium review will take an in-depth look at this supplement to determine if it offers real benefits.
What is Thorne Magnesium?
Thorne Magnesium Bisglycinate is a powdered magnesium supplement manufactured by Thorne Research, a health supplement company founded in 1984. Thorne aims to set a high standard in quality, purity and efficacy with its line of nutritional supplements.
Thorne Magnesium Bisglycinate provides 200mg of highly absorbable magnesium in each serving. It comes in an unflavored powder form that can be mixed into water, juice or smoothies. The key ingredient is magnesium bisglycinate, a form of chelated magnesium bound to the amino acid glycine for enhanced absorption compared to traditional magnesium supplements.
As an essential mineral, magnesium plays a role in hundreds of enzymatic bodily processes related to energy, muscle function, nerves, bones, blood sugar, and more. Unfortunately, with modern nutrient-poor diets, many people develop a deficiency in this important mineral over time.
Symptoms of magnesium deficiency can include muscle cramps, eye twitches, fatigue, anxiety, insomnia and more. Thorne Magnesium aims to restore healthy magnesium levels to support overall health and wellbeing.
Who Should Take Thorne Magnesium?
Thorne Magnesium Bisglycinate can benefit a wide variety of people looking to increase their magnesium intake. Those who may especially want to consider trying it include:
- Magnesium deficiency: Anyone experiencing potential magnesium deficiency symptoms like unexplained fatigue, muscle soreness or cramps, restless sleep and so on. Optimizing magnesium levels can often quickly relieve these issues.
- Athletes and fitness enthusiasts: Magnesium supports energy production, muscle function and recovery from exercise. Athletes are often at higher risk of deficiency due to increased demands on the body.
- Individuals with high chronic stress: Magnesium helps regulate cortisol levels and has soothing, relaxing properties that can aid sleep.
- People with hypertension or heart issues: Magnesium is vital for heart health – it helps regulate heart rhythm and blood pressure.
- Older adults: Magnesium absorption, like many nutrients, tends to decrease with age. Older individuals may benefit from supplements.
- High quality standards: Anyone seeking a high quality magnesium source free of common allergens.
Thorne Magnesium Bisglycinate is free of gluten, dairy and many other potential allergens, making it suitable for those with restricted diets. It can serve as a good daily magnesium source for a wide range of needs.
Is Thorne Magnesium Good?
Yes, Thorne Magnesium Bisglycinate stands out as a high quality magnesium supplement for several reasons. To start, it provides magnesium in the well-absorbed bisglycinate chelate form. This form has been shown to offer superior bioavailability compared to cheaper options like magnesium oxide.
Being more absorbable allows you to get more bang for your buck from every dose. Research has found magnesium bisglycinate to be gentler on the stomach as well, making it less likely to cause laxative side effects when taken at reasonable doses.
Thorne Magnesium is also NSF Certified for Sport, meaning it has undergone rigorous independent testing to verify it contains no banned substances. This makes it a trusted option for professional athletes and anyone concerned about health and safety.
As a company, Thorne adheres to stringent quality control standards. Their supplements are produced in an NSF Good Manufacturing Practices certified facility to ensure consistency and purity in every batch.
With the powder form, you also avoid any unnecessary fillers or additives like artificial colors, flavors and preservatives that can accompany condensed tablet forms. Overall, the high quality bisglycinate magnesium, thorough independent testing, and pure ingredients make Thorne Magnesium stand out.
What Does Thorne Magnesium Taste Like?
Thorne Magnesium Bisglycinate has a mildly bitter, chalky taste characteristic of magnesium supplements. On its own in water, users describe it as unpleasant but tolerable.
The neutral unflavored powder form allows you to mix it into smoothies, juices or protein shakes to cover up the natural taste. Many people note you cannot detect it at all when blended into something like chocolate protein powder or orange juice.
While not the best tasting supplement on its own, the versatile powder format gives you options to mask the flavor. The trade-off for the mild bitterness is a pure supplement free of artificial sweeteners or sugars.
For those who don’t mind the natural flavor, it can easily be taken as-is in water. However, blending it into something tastier is recommended for the best experience.
What are the Benefits of Thorne Magnesium?
Some of the evidence-based benefits provided by Thorne Magnesium Bisglycinate include restoration of magnesium, supports muscle form, promotes heart health, relieves stress, improves sleep quality, pure formula, 3rd party tested.
- Restores magnesium levels: Magnesium is involved in hundreds of enzymatic processes in the body. Optimizing levels can relieve deficiency symptoms and support overall health.
- Highly absorbable form: Magnesium bisglycinate has superior bioavailability compared to cheaper forms like magnesium oxide.
- Supports muscle function: Magnesium aids muscle contraction and recovery from exercise. This makes it popular with athletes.
- Promotes heart health: Magnesium helps maintain normal heart rhythm and healthy blood pressure levels already in the normal range.
- Relieves stress: Magnesium regulates cortisol levels and has mild sedative properties to promote relaxation.
- Improves sleep quality: By relaxing the nervous system and muscles, magnesium can help you fall asleep faster and get deeper sleep.
- Pure formula: Thorne Magnesium contains only magnesium bisglycinate – no unnecessary additives or fillers.
- Tested for purity: Third party testing ensures it is free of contaminants and 270+ banned substances for athletes.
- Neutral powder: The taste-free powder allows you to customize your dosage and ingestion method.
Overall, when taken consistently, Thorne Magnesium Bisglycinate can help restore optimal magnesium status to support whole body health and wellness in a variety of ways.
What are the Risks of Thorne Magnesium?
Thorne Magnesium Bisglycinate is generally very well tolerated, especially when taken as recommended. However, there are some potential side effects to be aware of such as digestive distress, interactions, pure powder taste, improper dosing.
- Digestive distress: Excessive doses of magnesium may cause diarrhea, nausea or stomach cramping in sensitive people. This can be mitigated by starting with low doses.
- Interactions: Magnesium may interact with certain medications including antibiotics and blood pressure drugs. Check with a doctor before use if on medication.
- Pure powder taste: The natural taste of magnesium bisglycinate is bitter according to some reviews. The powder form requires blending into liquids.
- Improper dosing: Taking too much magnesium at once increases risk of side effects. Proper scoop should be used.
To reduce likelihood of side effects, start with 1/2 scoop daily, increase slowly and don’t exceed suggested serving. Those with medical conditions should consult a doctor before use as well. Properly dosing the powder and avoiding excessive intake minimizes risk.
What is the recommended dosage of Thorne Magnesium?
The recommended starting dosage for Thorne Magnesium Bisglycinate is 1 scoop daily, which provides 200mg of magnesium. This is within the recommended daily intake for most adults.
Serving sizes can be adjusted up or down based on individual factors. Those more sensitive to supplements may want to begin with 1/2 scoop and work up to a full serving over time. Athletes or larger individuals may benefit from slightly higher doses after assessing tolerance.
Exceeding 400mg per day increases the likelihood of digestive side effects. Unless recommended by a doctor, remain under this upper limit. Working with a health practitioner can help determine your optimal magnesium intake.
What is the best time to consume Thorne Magnesium?
The best time to take Thorne Magnesium Bisglycinate is generally before bedtime in the evening. This is because magnesium has natural muscle relaxing and sleep-promoting effects.
Taking it 1-2 hours before bed allows enough time for absorption so you can experience the full sleep benefits. The relaxing properties help unwind both the mind and body for restful sleep.
However, magnesium absorption remains relatively consistent regardless of timing. It can be taken any time of day – just note it may cause drowsiness if used earlier in large amounts. Adjust timing based on your individual reaction and needs.
How much is Thorne Magnesium?
On the Thorne website, a container of Thorne Magnesium Bisglycinate containing 60 servings retails for $48 not including the subscription discounts. This breaks down to around $0.80 per serving. With the Athletic Insight discount, this price drops substantially.
Considering one serving meets 42% of the daily value for magnesium, the cost seems very reasonable for the essential health benefits it provides. The price per serving is on par with other premium magnesium supplements.
Is Thorne Magnesium Expensive?
No, Thorne Magnesium Bisglycinate cannot be considered overly expensive given the cost breakdown. At the standard $48 retail price, each 200mg serving costs about $0.80 cents. With the 25% discount, this drops the price down to $0.60 per serving.
This is very affordable compared to many lower quality magnesium supplements. And when you account for the absorbability and purity you get with Thorne, it provides excellent value for money.
The price per serving is likely far less than your daily coffee or other regular splurges. Given how vital magnesium is for health, obtaining it in a highly bioavailable form for $0.60 a day is reasonably priced.
Where can I buy Thorne Magnesium?
Thorne Magnesium Bisglycinate can be purchased directly through the Thorne website. Buying directly from the manufacturer ensures you get an authentic product.
This magnesium supplement is also available from some third-party supplement retailers such as Amazon and Vitamin Shoppe. Prices may be lower on these sites, so it pays to compare options.
Brick-and-mortar stores like GNC, Whole Foods or Sprouts may also carry Thorne brand supplements. Check your local outlets or online inventories to find the best deals in your area.
Wherever you choose to buy Thorne Magnesium Bisglycinate, inspect packaging carefully to verify it is a legitimate product. Buying directly from Thorne takes the guesswork out of ensuring authenticity.
Is There Magnesium in other Thorne Supplements?
Yes, Thorne offers magnesium in various formulations aside from their standalone magnesium products. One example is Thorne’s multivitamin/mineral formulas, which many contain magnesium along with other essential nutrients. Products targeting specific health concerns, like bone health or cardiovascular health, also include magnesium due to its vital role in many physiological processes.
Is Thorne Magnesium FDA Approved?
No, Thorne Magnesium Bisglycinate does not have FDA approval. However, this is common for dietary supplements – the FDA does not validate or audit supplement products unless there are reports of harm.
Lack of FDA approval does not inherently mean a product is unsafe. Thorne Magnesium contains GRAS-designated ingredients and is made following cGMP standards in an NSF certified facility.
While not directly approved, it follows strict regulations and protocols enforced by the FDA. Independent testing also verifies contents and lack of contaminants. So while not officially “approved”, Thorne Magnesium meets high safety and quality standards aligned with FDA guidelines.